I am not in competition with Michael Majid –Ken Erics

Ken Erics

Another budding Nollywood actor, Ken Erics seems not to be sleeping on what he knows how to  do; in this interview with UGOCHUKWU FAVOUR-MAYOR, it was inspiring to hear him ponder on his academic academic life and vast experience.

Excerpt:

Let’s know you?

Ken Erics is my name; I’m from Enugwu- Ukwu in Njikoka LGA of Anambra State, Nigeria. I hold a degree in Theatre Arts from Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka. I am the sixth child of my parents. A liberal minded person. I am more of an introvert. I hardly hang out except when necessary and I keep a small circle of friends. I’m a Nollywood actor and musician.

Let’s discuss Nollywood?

Well, Nollywood is an industry I’m proud to be part of, an industry that has come to stay. I mean from absolutely nothing it has grown into a global phenomenon with immense potential for revenue and human resources. I’m particularly overwhelmed at the abundance of talents the industry parades. And I think that is the main reason for the growth. Though we cannot be said to have arrived, I still think we have made a good impact and with recent collaborations with our counterparts in other climes we have a good springboard from which we can thrive! I’m really glad it is happening. Moreover talents are discovered everyday and the zeal is there. I believe what we need mostly is training. Every practitioner should endeavour to upgrade his or herself with knowledge and skills. That is the fulcrum of any successful industry. I’m glad most aspiring actors and technical personnel have begun to enroll in institutions to sharpen their drive, and I see that translating into more improved productions in the nearest future; such that would earn us global recognition.

How did you find yourself in Nollywood?

Let’s say I always had the conviction that I would be in the entertainment industry. I had a very interesting and entertaining childhood. I was raised in a home where one was exposed to the beauty of arts in all forms. And I’m lucky to have very liberal minded parents who would allow you pursue your dream. My mum had always been in the choir since I knew her. Till date she’s a choir mistress, same to my siblings. I remember as a child I always came home after school to listen to various kinds of music which mum would be listening to before we got home. And that has greatly influenced us all. We’ve all been engaged in one form of church activity or the other, music and drama wise. Even as a child I was always improvising stuffs like microphones and drum sets and would imagine myself as a rock star singing on stage. I could remember I often sneaked out to watch life bands performances because I was so drawn to anything performance, and I would always be part of the church drama and school performances. So, it wasn’t a surprise to my folks when I chose to study Theatre Arts as a course. After my graduation I went for my youth service in Kaduna state. While there, went for an audition and got a role in a soap opera titled ‘Webs’. So when I was done with service I pursued my dream and attended as many auditions as I knew about, the rest is history. My first encounter with Nollywood was in my first year in the University. There was an audition close by, I went for it and was picked for a minor role, which I did. That was the movie, Holy Prostitute. After that the passion grew so I always kept my ears on the ground for audition notices and made sure I attended any audition I heard about. I really could travel miles just to attend an audition. In my third year in the University, I got wind of an audition in Lagos that was Teco Benson’s film, Danger Signal. I left school in a commercial luxurious night bus, in which I stood half of the journey and slept on the floor of the bus, in between the passengers, because I couldn’t pay the complete fare to secure a chair. When I got to Lagos in the morning, I rushed to a friend’s house and showered, then headed to the national theatre for the audition. Luckily for me I made it and was given a role to play as Desmond Elliot’s friend. Though it wasn’t a big role, I still gave it my best. After that I didn’t do any other movie until after my youth service. When I was done with NYSC I started attending auditions again in Enugu, Asaba, and Abuja. I still went for Teco’s audition for an epic, Silence of the gods, in Enugu. Got a good role and did it well. Then I went for another audition for the movie Eran and Erak and I got the lead; from there I picked up.

Life as a celebrity?

(Laughs) Honestly I don’t see myself as a celebrity yet. I might be popular, fine. But I don’t have the notion that I’m a celebrity or go around expecting to be recognized and all that. I still live my simple life the way I have always been. The only difference is that the exposure had forced me indoors; I hardly visit where I use to be. Then one tends to find it difficult to go to certain places and do things you ordinarily would do without causing a stir. Plus the fact that people expect more from you forgetting you are just like every other person. The life of an actor is really not an enviable one. It pigeonholes you into a certain stereotype in public, always grinning even when deep down you feel terrible or depressed. However there are good sides to it. I mean it’s heartwarming to hear people tell you “you are their role model and they love you”. It gives me a kind of fulfillment knowing my little contributions really touched lives positively; and for that I’m grateful to God.

Which movie would you say brought you to limelight?

Actually I got the exposure from Silence of the gods. Then Eran and Erak gave me the recognition I needed. The movie Evil Intention with Kenneth Okonkwo actually stamped my presence.

Scandals?

I have really been lucky with that. No scandal yet. But that is not to say I am a saint or holier than anybody. We all are humans with numerous shortcomings. Moreover this is entertainment. The fact that there isn’t a scandal today doesn’t rule out the possibility of one. I just keep praying and doing my job, which is all I owe my fans.

Who is the act you always prefer being on set with?

I don’t really have preferences regarding my colleagues. But I sure wouldn’t enjoy working with someone who isn’t going to bring out the best in me. As long as the artiste knows his or her craft, I’m good. Acting is a collaborative effort. Much as we as actors have our unit objectives to deliver the character as real as possible, the super objective which is to tie all our efforts into a complete whole matters a lot. So if I’m good and the next person isn’t, the whole effort would have been futile; that’s why I’m an advocate for excellence irrespective of sentiments.

Challenges?

The challenges are there. I mean transforming yourself into another person’s persona is in itself a huge challenge. And that is the greatest for every actor. The ability to switch from one character to another within a specified period of time intensifies as the case. Outside the screen there’s also the challenge of trying to please everyone you come across, which of course is almost impossible. But you just have to be as polite and as civil as possible, even to rude and irritating remarks and actions.

Dream?

My dream is to be a successful entertainer, to be the best I can and to really impact lives. Someone I would be proud to read about if I could. Someone my children would really be proud of. I hope to delve into various genres of entertainment as regards movies and music. I just keep working hard and praying to God for fulfillment.

Ken Eric with Tontoh Dike

Relationship?

I’m currently in a relationship with someone so unique to me. She loves and understands me very well. She is from Anambra State, and she just finished her youth service. She is a complete African woman, and she doesn’t like publicity, so I’ll leave it at that.

Embarrassing moment?

That should be the day I fell into a ditch and got carried away by flood while trying to impress my colleagues. How did it happen? I had gone for a music show with my group, on our way back there was heavy rain and the road was flooded. No car could move. We had to alight and cross a ditch into a nearby store till the rain subsided. There was a wooden bridge, my friends walked over, in my stupidity I decided to jump over only to land inside the gutter and the flood carried me along immediately. God just saved me as I held onto some metal poles before they came to my rescue, already then I was muddy from head to toe.

How about the competition you were accused of having with Ghana artistes, especially Michael Majid?

That’s far from the truth. I can’t compete with anybody, not at all. Why should I? Every one is unique in his or her way. I mean every actor brings certain individuality to the table, and as such there isn’t any room for unhealthy competition. Moreover I respect my colleagues and I think they do the same. Acting is symbiotic. I learn from every single person I come across irrespective of status. For me, there’s always something to pick up from every individual; so there isn’t any competition whatsoever with Ghana artistes or even Micheal Majid as earlier mentioned.

What should your fans expect?

My fans should expect a couple of wonderful movies I did lately. They will soon hit the cinemas and the shelves. The details would be out soon. I thank all my fans for their immeasurable love and support, and I promise never to fail them.

Advertisements

Contact Us…

Please send your Press Release/Articles/ Stories/Enquiries to: editor@newafricanpress.com

Views expressed herein are not necesarily that of  New African Press  but that of the individual writers. Facts and accuracies are the responsibilities of the authors. Please also note that some people may use pseudo names or generic emails, to which New African Press may not be able to verify. Therefore, an author’s identity should not be inferred on the basis of name, subject matter, or any other characterization presented here.

Comments

1. Blessing Bassey says:

Brother ken plz wil help sum1 who dreams of acting ,plz i no dat i have nothing 2 give 2 u bt plz dis my number 08182046001,all my life have dreaming,prayin 2 becoming an actress bt i have know 1 too make my dreams come through plz u r my last hope.plz lf nt 4 anything bt 4 de sake of God who made u n i.plz help a die soul,a fatherless child like me who was born in dis wicked world.plz Brother

2. Blessing Bassey says:

Brother ken plz wil u help sum1 who dream of becoming an actress,plz i no dat i have nothing 2 give 2 u bt plz dis my number 08182046001,all my life have being of dreaming,prayin 2 becoming an actress bt i have know 1 too make my dreams come through plz u r my last hope.plz lf nt 4 anything bt 4 de sake of God who made u n i.plz help a dying soul,a fatherless child like me who was born in dis wicked world.plz Brother

3. Ken eriks ugochukwu u re doing wel in any rol u play so pls am pleadin on behalf of my dream pls i wil lyk u to help me put it true pls dis my contact me if u realy luv to help me,07030365952 tax

4. I just luv ur courage. Ur’e my best actor more grease 2 ur elbow.neky.O

5. Ramatulai jalloh says:

U are a very responsible guy. Keep it up,u will surely touch d sky. An moreover,i love d role u all played in d movie “illiterate”. It will be of great pleasure d day i will set my eyes on u. I realy admire u ,by God’s grace me too will b known as d best actress. All d same keep it up.

6. Ken i realy lovs ad liks ur way the way u act ad do sm certain tings most importantly the way u dress kep t up

7. LOVETH ADAYI says:

Ken ur realy a model, i must say i love d roles u play in d movie :days of gloom.d sky will b ur limit i love u.

8. Ken i love u, i have dis music i wanna sing, can we do it together since ur a musician? Olivecandy@ymail.com, dats ma email u can email me

9. VICTORIA AKUJUOBI says:

Am grateful 2 GOD 4 ur life and d talent he put inside of u,keep it up.u’re marching 4rm glory 2 glory.u are d best.dear

10. Ezeibe Chiamaka says:

Ken,am presently in d very department u graduated from. I’ve heard so many gud things abt u Frm mr. Pat and Associate prof Abone. I luv ur courage,kip it up and grab ur ordained greatness

11. Wow ken u are a wonderful actor pls keep it up u are gud V.G.more greese 2 ur elbow.U TOO MUCH ABEG.

12. I like ken erics since i saw him on d stage, i wish i could see him one on one

13. Uche okoli says:

My dear Eric i luv ur acting ur jst 1 in a million

14. Kanu chinwendu says:

Ken Erics keep it up, you are the best when it comes to acting mostly in(illiterate), i love people with action,

• Nwanne mu wuke o mere ihe soru ka imulaki pa ikeoma biko po mu la egbe iti ugbuia piko inu chukwu ga agoseki ikeoma lele akaira mu eba o 08124748582 ogaadirikilama ike ukwuia ibani kaodiase

15. Pleas ken help me i want to come into the movie industry am a very good actress please i need ur help.

16. Tessy Ejike says:

I dreamth of becoming an actress right from when i was in primary school till i pass out from secondary school, i do go for drama blast’s/drama competition’s each time my school is invited, but my mother & my elderly brother blocked & refused me of my decisions in life. Uptill- date i am still regreting it. Thank GOD for ur mother who supported “U”. More greeze to ur elbow.

17. Unique sharon says:

Ken, u act lyk a true son of the soil. The role you played in (illiterate) is 1 which i will always live to luv u for. I can see transformation in u. Kip it up.

18. Vikky- chukky says:

Ken my love 4 ur personality new no bound afta reading dis interview. I enjoy ur roles wel in gold not silver and the ilitrate. If u can help me get my life dream in acting and music col 08139429795 i wil be glad. Luv u!

19. Ken i luv so much,dis film u r carrying tonto(the illetrate),i watch dis film everyday.guys u need 2 watch dis film.ken really killed d film,its d best.kens u r jst d best,thumbs up 2 u

20. i love ken.pls keep it up d way u act.espsially d illtrate.u ar my noba one fans

21. I truly luv d way u act, but i never new dat u were married. But i really luv to be an Actress pls help me dis is my number 08105378848 luv u.

22. U kw wt i like mostly in u is becos of ur handsome and i like to watch ur movies becos of dat, pls keep it up i luv u

23. Anonymous says:

Brother Ken Erics plz help sum 1 who in need of actin,dis is my contact 08108151333 i know i hv ntin to offer u but all my life and my thought is to c u,pls call me

24. Sapphire says:

ken i luv u i luv d way u act and talk infact seeing u on d screen makes my day u are handsome i wish i would c u one on one and i pray my wish will kom 2 pass I LOVE YOU

25. Anonymous says:

Mi name z destiny, ken i luv ur actin kep it up,pls help me i wnt 2 be an actor, diz mi numbr 08131999734

26. Ken i dnt no dat u re my bros,u re a real son of soil,Sky is ur startng pt,gudluck

27. Beatricemandy says:

I love u ken Eric nd d movies u act especially dat one “THE ILLITERATE”wow! It is superb… Wish i can be like u,pls ken if u can do it call 08189562817, I’ll be very grateful cos i need someone who can make my dreams come true,if u know someone @ Asaba like a Director or a producer pls tell me how to reach him/her.TANX

28. Beatricemandy says:

I love u ken Eric nd d movies u act especially dat one “THE ILLITERATE”wow! It is superb… Wish i can be like u,pls ken if u can do it call 08189562817 or Beatricemandy6@gmail.com, I’ll be very grateful cos i need someone who can make my dreams come true,if u know someone @ Asaba like a Director or a producer pls tell me how to reach him/her.TANX

29. Francisca chinonye says:

Pls bro, i will do appreciate it if u can connect me 2 d movie industry, i am a gradute and acting has been my dream career but don’t have anybody 2 connect me. Call me if u have something 4 me 08036510264

30. Igbuzor sylvia says:

How many people will he help?Didnt u see he struggled by himself?

31. Honesty Ola says:

Hello eric, i have seen a lot of actors and actresses on films & also live on stage, but you have a unique touch of grace that make you look excellently in ur acting, i believe that must be the hand of God. It is easier to get to the TOP but it is not easier to stay at the TOP, Pls try and stay at the top. Pls am tallented in writing of play (movie play) but to whom will i get in touch with…., pls u can email me. (honestyoladipo@yahoo.com ) Thanks

• I love u so much n all movics eg my sweart, occultic brother,hour of mercy,member of idemili cult etc, n brother ken i act so much n i writh many storys n music bt i dt hv a suppot on back plz contact me n help me sir des my number 08124748582 or 08141350207 thinks.

32. Anonymous says:

ken eric hw ar u, well u dnt kw me bt i so much admire u, u a so jactle i realy feel 4u 08030850671 dis na my num can we chat together though u ve someone in ur heart.

33. Helo kenny am cynthia best a model frm studio 042.pls i av a drm of actin,buh who can help mi actualize it pls if u can tel mi d steps i wil follow it wil b ma pleasur.dis ma line 08163528406

34. Dis so much if u do it 4 mi

35. Blessing njah says:

I love u ken keep it up

36. BRODA GO ON AM COME .I LIKE UR WAY KEN

37. ken u r a real role model, love ur carriage
    keep d fire burning
    God is ur strengths

38. smart t okezie says:

If u have vision of making it in nollywood, follow me on fbk wit Smart T Okezie, or call
    07030872342

39. onyinye ijeomah says:

plsss dear,,,i am a young gal of 17,, nd i wnt a be an actress bt i dnt hav anybody a suponsor me,,pls i beg u bro ken plss help me out,,dis is my numba…08178616130

40. U are very sweet i luv the way are.

41. DO u luv her

42. RAMSEY STANLEY says:

This is the time you have been waiting for. do you want to be a actor or actress in life here is the opportunity in life to achieve that dream okay. VIA ;youngstarproductions@outlook.com
    i am Ramsey Stanley if you are interested to be actor or actress get back to me so you will be told what to do so you can be registered to be an actress or a actor okay.

VIA ;youngstarproductions@outlook.com

43. Anonymous says:

Hi Ken be close to the living God Almighty , never go far from God because he is the source of your success . For Ken you are Big.Please love the one you already love forever Amen.Stay bless

44. Amaka precious says:

Ken am proud of u i like the way u dressed nd the way u act.i hav been dream to be actress but i dont knw hw to get intouch wit anybody pls if u can help me send text wit dis no 08131885495 i wil cal u pls

45. Anonymous says:

I jst liked u d very day i watched the illiterate i luv d movie u acted well

46. Smart T Okezie says:

Please for thos of you who hav interest in nolly movies, should follow me on facebook or call my line 07030872342. Be fast about it.

47. Ken pls help me bring my face 2 limelight,08067671187

48. I LUV KEN I WANT TO SEE U ON ONE & ONE WERE CAN I LOCAT U PLS CAL ME 08124748582 says:

I LUV KEN WERE CAN I LOCATE U PLS CAL ME 08124748582 SINCE I WARCH HOUOR OF A MERCY I V U SO MUCH

49. Anonymous says:

Wow!i like hw u act.

50. Imuere Blessing says:

I luv ur act Mr Ken Erics its so thrilling and entertaining. kudus!

51. i really love ken Erics moive features *keep it on

52. pamellazuby says:

Hi Ken am pamella 2 be candid I like ur movies it luk more real I like it wen I hear some dude been proud of dere gal I must say ur rilly a man.thanks

53. Ken u are my role molder i love the way u act i wish 2 be an artrist if there is any hope contact me with 07063038661

54. gentledamsel says:

U’re d best Ken, keep doing what you know how to do best…
    I’m really motivated by U’re story, U made it, I believe I too can make it… U’re are the best…
    Keep it up!

55. i dnt av any website

56. Ken u ar my role model ,keep it up

57. Anonymous says:

U Really Do Well At My Sweat And When Jesus Say Yes. U Try Keep It Up.I Will Like To Speak With U One U Really Do Well At My Sweat And When Jesus Say Yes. U Try Keep It Up.I Will Like To Speak With U One U Really Do Well At My Sweat And When Jesus Say Yes. U Try Keep It Up.I Will Like To Speak With U One U Really Do Well At My Sweat And When Jesus Say Yes. U Try Keep It Up.I Will Like To Speak With U One Day.

58. U Really Do Well At My Sweat And When Jesus Say Yes. U Try Keep It Up.I Will Like To Speak With U One Day.

59. dear ken eric if i am to say to live my fiance to any man i wt b u bcos i love ur acting pls cal me 08140345166 by Lovelyn A

60. hello ken, i like ur movie may de good lord bless u and marry sister dike for mi ok

61. Guy i luv ur way

62. Anonymous says:

Ax 4 m,i think am inluv wit dis guy o,i dey trip 4 u o….lookin forward 2 meet u,u r such a nice guy eric keep it up….d sky is ur strtin point.

63. Anonymous says:

I lov al ur movies eric…..

64. I need ur help me bro call 08130921497

65. I need ur help bro call 08130921497

66. Anonymous says:

Lolz i dnt ve much to say bt bros ken keep it up………..nd ppl stp begging him if u wanna be like him follow his steps nt pleading 4 tins dat dnt exist

67. Anderson victoria says:

Each tym i c u, i feel dat there is sometin unique in every individual. l luv d unique style of attitude u potral in every of ur movie .l luv ur style keep up.

68. Emmanuella Ekure says:

Each tym i watch ur movie, i always do admire u 4 ur great work.pls keep it up.i luv u xo much ken erics(08152076349)

69. CKen I luv de way u act keep it up0

• Hello mr kennet erics ugo i always dream about u all d night just becaus i lik d way u act in movics d way u speak, smile, walk, eat ,even d way u use to do ur mouth everytime i love dat mr ken erics i really love u n i need ur help pls contact me 08124748582 am expacting ur call take care.

70. John Deborah says:

I love d way u talk,act,ur voice,etc. Keep it up

71. Keep it up I really like the movie u play called and north and south .I luv u. 🙂

72. That women Is that tonton dike but I really like the way u act in movies if ur married with her congratulations :-).

73. Benjamin otuekong says:

Bro ken eric i just love your acting especially, the illitrate keep it up.

74. PLZ MR ERICS HELP CALL 08106941038

75. STEPHEN COMFORT says:

Mr ken, i really respect ur personality, u are one in a million,i pray dat d God of d ophans will bless d works of ur hands in Jesus name. Amen. Plz i want u to help in any way u can i just lost my mum and my father is suffering in d village no help is coming 4rm any where plz i beg u in d name God plz help me. Dis is my number . 08140567768:

76. Okoro Blessing says:

Sir Ken Erics i really luv d way u act. d sky is ur starting point. u ar my role model nd my best actor.

77. I really like ken as an actor,and I like all his movies

78. I love all the role u play. Keep it up. I love the movie u acted especially Suger cane beby with Ini Edo.

79. since i watch ur film my sweat nd when jesus say yes,dat is where i find out dat u re a real man,a son of the soil,i luv u so much…keep on the lord is good all time.

80. Am very very greatful to have Ken Eric Ugo as my best actor, I like d way he act, to make it short? I like him. I prayers for him is that God will in his mercy will always see you through. Your namesack Ugo. My no; 07039576536.

81. Remain bless, my namesack.

82. I like your acting,pls keep it up. Pls make sure u pray evry day. Prayer z d key to evry fin. I cnt imagin dat u r my namesack. (07039576536)

83. Anonymous says:

i lik ur actin

84. I WILL ALWAYS PRAY FOR U KEN. I LUV U

85. Bros warm gretings 2 u,its pleasure toking 2 u,i must say u r a wonderful actor,n God Wil reward u 4 dat in due tym,i luv d way u act,n hw u do dem wel in respective of d chalenges u faced,i wish am klose 2 u. De sky ur expectation? U shal reach,regad 2 ur luva. Warm luv am favour lawrence 4rm owerri.

86. PRECIOUS DIAMOND says:

I LOVE THIS GUY COS I SEE HIM AS A FREE PERSON HE IS SIMPLE

87. Jennifer umah says:

Ken erics,sir,pls i luv u,the way u act,ur actions wow!The first movie i saw u in is “ERACK &ERAN” the way u acted is just as if u were created for the purpose of acting
    08102642052

88. Ken Eric, I so much like ur personality, keep it up, ur my biggest crush in d nolly wood, I love u

Disclaimer

This blog claims no credit for any images posted unless where otherwise stated. Images on this blog are copyright to its respectful owners. If there is an image appearing on this blog that belongs to you and you do not wish for it to appear on this site, please E-mail with a link to the image and it will be promptly removed.

%d bloggers like this: